Pages

January 25, 2011

Every picture tells a Storey

For many people The Storey in Lancaster is a beautiful Victorian building, next to Lancaster Castle, passed by regularly on the walk to and from the Railway Station into town.
There is still little externally to suggest that inside, it is a thriving and buzzing hub of creativity and commerce, for The Storey (or to give it it's full name The Storey Creative Industries Centre) is home to Storey Art Gallery, Lancaster Literature Festival (Litfest), The Visitor Information Centre, and a whole host of creative businesses, a bar and restaurant with a fully euipped 100 seat auditorium and conference facilities. I know it pretty well, as I have worked there since about 2002 for Litfest.
Recently though, I was commissioned to photograph the residents and staff at the centre to illuminate The Storey website. It's been a really nice job, and I've gotten to know a little better, some of the many faces, I pass every day and say "hi" to, and it's allowed me to enjoy some interesting creative freedom. Corporate portraiture can very often be straightforward head and shoulder shots, but my objective here was to show off both the building and the creativity of it's residents.
I've not yet finished the project, so what you see here is still work in progress...

No comments: